Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's or April's Fool?

I always wanted to be one of those super creative types that WOW'd their families with fun April Fool's day meals. Tacos for breakfast? Chocolate cake molded into meatballs for dinner? Yet for 15 years I have never gotten around to it. My kids will be leaving home in a few years, and still no April Fool's fun at dinner time.

This morning as I was getting kids ready for school, 'Kenna (9) came into the bathroom to get her hair done wearing last years too small capri's. Keep in mind we woke up to an inch of snow, and I had previously told my kids that they were not allowed to wear summer clothes until after Easter - still two weeks away. She was upset and stomped off to change. 5 minutes later, she was throwing a fit about having oatmeal for breakfast. (No way was I cooking something fun for April Fools Day, I had to be to work by 8am!) Then we had it out over how she wanted to comb her hair for school, while not usually an issue, today she wanted any style I wasn't offering. Minutes later time was up, I needed to be out the door. End result: no hair style.
While this was going on upstairs, Sabee (15) and Walk-dog (12) were starting World War 3 over who's turn it was to shower. Sure they have assigned times, that they had both skipped. Sure I had already yelled down the stairs twice to remind them to talk nicely to each other. They still insisted on screaming, name-calling, and slamming doors. 10 minutes later it's time for family prayer and Hubby and I to head out the door. This is when Sabee decides she no longer wants to give us hugs good-bye. I was mad!

It took until 10am to calm down enough to fake a good mood at work. By 5pm when I headed home I had no desire to stop at the store for special ingredients, let alone any time to let the creative juices flow. This years April Fool's dinner: French toast. I guess the jokes on me - they scarfed it down, never once concerned that tonight's meal wasn't anything special. After years of not receiving anything different, they had no expectations, other than to get fed.

Hopefully we don't fool ourselves on a daily basis that what we serve for dinner will bring world peace. As long as their tummy's are full, kids are happy. Being together at dinner time is what's important. And that's no joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment